Possible Irish Chain

Question for the floor

Is it completely trite if I decide to make an Irish Chain quilt while living in Ireland? Or is the type of thing that is just exactly as it is supposed to be? You know, the whole cliches are a cliche for a reason, type thing.

I've always liked the look of Irish Chain quilts, and had intended to make one someday, so maybe Ireland is calling to me telling me that this is the time I've been waiting for??

And working on the assumption that I get a machine here, then I'd need to be making something that uses simple construction and minimal fabrics (ie I can't create a stash here: I have to buy purely for the project I am working on at the time) the Irish Chain could be a winner.  I mean, I could probably get away with using a jelly roll and just buying the background (need to actually look up the pattern though... I'll get there, I'll get there!!)

And if I do this, I kind of want to go with green... but again... is that *too* Irish. Am I going to look ridiculous? Or is it only ridiculous if I try to quilt it with little shamrocks (OMG, how cute would that be!!! I totally want to do that now as well!!)

Ok. Let's back up.  I don't have a home yet, or a machine. Although I may have wandered through a couple of fabric shops in Dublin already and picked up some of those little things that one needs - a mat, a ruler, a rotary cutter, 2 and 1/2 metres of white fabric...

Ok, so at this point I should probably give up pretending I might not get a machine. I'm totally getting a machine. 6 months without proper sewing?? I don't think so.  I was willing, because it was necessary, but it's so not necessary.  As soon as I have an address I'll be ordering my machine.

Ok, well if I'm gonna buy the machine and make something, I think I've convinced myself into an Irish Chain... Unless you tell me not to, because it's lame. But seriously - should I go with green or should I maybe go sleek with grey, or I saw a really nice burgundy fabric that I could use, or there was a nice purple that I saw and earmarked for a future project (haven't even started number one and I'm ready for the next!!).

Ok, I need your thoughts!! What should I do????

E xx

Comments