January Snails

I mentioned earlier this month that I was going to join in on the #snailday sew a long, and I have been industriously sewing to make sure I stay up to date.

The schedule is just one little snail each week, which is totally do-able!


And the snails are just so cute!!!

Originally I had planned to make all green shells, but I started with a little practice scrap and really liked it... and then I grabbed another piece from my scrap jars, and really liked that.. and now I know that this will not be a perfectly curated, colour story type quilt, but a mish mash of colours and textures and whatever I happen to lay my hands on. But the consistent body and background, makes me think this will still work really well.



The part of my brain that screams logic at me, says I can't have a snail shell with flowers on it, because snails don't have motif's - I need pattern not pictures, but this print called out to me and I'm letting that be my guide.


The other guide is what do I have in scrap that will fit. Or if not "scrap" what have a cut a strip of that I can spare a piece from.  I'm terrible with the way I use my fabrics. I like to make a cut WOF and then use what I need. Anything left from the strip goes into scrap. So on the one hand, there's wastage, but on the other, not really becasue I totally use my scrap containers all the time. And I prefer this to having big pieces of fabric with weird little corners cut out everywhere, which is way more efficient, but... Just doesn't work for me.  We all have our little *things* and that is just the way I am.



The beige-y background is from deep stash - no idea what it is or where I got it from.

The grey body fabric is a Kona solid that I bought for another project, and hadn't gotten around to using yet, so I stole it for this :-) The original project changed directions after my fabric purchasing so it was just going to waste I swear!! I think it's charcoal, but it might be iron... I really need to start labeling the solids as they come in.

Anyway.



That's my little snails so far! And if you want to follow along in real time, then my insta is the place to be. Or just insta in general with the #snailday and #gardensnailquilt. There are some amazing snails being made (not mine - other people's are super cute - yellows and blues and technicolour goodness. Makes me wish I wasn't so bland and boring, but own who you are, I say!!) but just check them out for funsies :-)

E xx

Comments

  1. I love all your snails! I agree I think scrappy is the way to go! Could the snail body be slate? It looks slightly blue-tinged in the photo. I also cut WOF and then move to scrap because odd shaped sections drive me bananas!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

I'm still working out how to make email reply's work, but I promise I read every one and will reply by email or on the blog.
E xx