Piecing the back of the Carpenters Wheel

So I finished my Carpenters Wheel (as per my post.  Woohoo!!) and then I needed a backing.

My Carpenter's Wheel quilt top

 I purposely bought extra material so I could make a pieced back.

 


I have been studiously chopping and sewing away.


I say again, these improv bits take as much, if not more time, than a pattern!
 
I'm pretty happy with how it's coming together. I have pieced a couple of stars, which I'm hoping to add in somewhere, but I think I might actually be running out of room.

 
I laid it all out and see what it looks like but I still have to make some decisions.

I think I want to up the amount of plain pink, but also add something BOLD to the top left area. Maybe also a thin strip of the dark pink between the second and third strips on the left..  Still thinking...

I'll keep chopping and sewing, and before we know it, it'll be time for quilty goodness!
 
E xx

Comments

  1. You are so much more patient than I am! By the time I get to the back, I just want it done, and I always wish I'd spent more time. This is beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. To be honest, normally I buy a big piece of something with a busy pattern, so you can't see my appalling quilting, and pretend no one will ever see it. I like the idea of having a quilt that works on both sides. And I wasn't really intending to do such small peiecing. I had picked big blocks, but for some reason my cutting arm had a mind of its own :-)
      And after my disaster with wonky lines the other day, I'm now super nervous about how this is goign to look quilted. There are a lot of lines to go crooked.
      E xx

      Delete
  2. Ooo loving the look of the back. I'm with Anne - usually don't take the time - but think you're inspiring me! Am sure it'll look fab. The Carpenters Star is on my to-do list too (with my wedding fabrics) but all those HSTs aren't making me jump for joy. You did a great job! x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I thought I'd hate all the HSTs but I actually didn't (colour me surprised). I think becuase I was just making one block it didn't feel so onerous. And I had counted exactly what I needed before I started. If I was making a whole quilt of little wheels, I might not love it quite so much :-)
      E xx

      Delete
  3. It looks great! And I'm the same, I end up piecing a back and taking just as long as the front! Worth it in the end though!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope it will be. I've been envious of all the awesome quilt back everywhere when mine are so simple. We'll see if it works before I celebrate though :-)
      E

      Delete

Post a Comment

I'm still working out how to make email reply's work, but I promise I read every one and will reply by email or on the blog.
E xx