Phil's quilt



I may not have mentioned this before, but I have the best boss in the world.

Well my boss turned into a grown up last month. He turned 30 (and got engaged, so a REAL grown up). He likes to make fun of me for having a nana hobby. So I told him he should shut up, or I won't make him a quilt. He laughed and we were all good.

Until Friday, when he mentioned that he was disappointed that there was no quilt when he opened his present.  So, after I yelled at him that he had told me he didn't want one, I started planning...

I spent some serious time on Pintrest (OMG I love Pintrest!!) finding inspiration. I knew my colours would be shades of blue, with some grey in there, and I knew I wanted something linear and manly.

I had my top three. But I really wanted to check in with Phil and make sure it was what he wanted. 

He looked at this picture and said "that one". 


He even wanted those colours (with orange instead of burgundy). I tried to keep the colours, but I just couldn't picture it for him with the yellow going through it. So this is what I've come up with.

OMG, I can so see the difference between photos on my real camera and photos taken with the iPad. I'll never do it again, I swear!

 
It's essentially the same.  I've got the two shades of blue, an orange, and I've added black and grey. I've drawn it up on graph paper to try to help me with the quilt maths... Not looking forward to trying to make this work.

I am not sure if I should be doing half square triangles, or strip piecing or what. The pin is made using all 2 1/2 inch strips running vertically. And there was no pattern linked to it...

I feel I may be getting in over my head :-/

Time to order some fabric and see how we go!

E xx

I have to do the stupid BlogLovin' thing, so excuse me while I write randomly down the bottom here... <a href="http://www.bloglovin.com/blog/5115289/?claim=y79sz29c3z8">Follow my blog with Bloglovin</a>

Comments

  1. Good luck! I would probably use half square triangles because I can usually get those to work better then 2 1/2 inch strips, but those seem to really stretch on me for some reason, so I always have to be extra careful!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am almost paralysed over how to actualyl make this happen. So many angles... And if I do hst's that's A LOT of triming to do. the benefit of the 2 1/2 stips is that there are no actual angles, it's all straight lines. And the whole thing is so straight line-y that I can't really fudge it.
      I have a vision but not a plan. I think I am in trouble :-/ lol
      E

      Delete
  2. This quilt is INCREDIBLE. Love love love. Can't wait to see what you do!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think (if I can do it) it will be fabulous. Now to make the maths work :-)
      E

      Delete
  3. What a wonderful gift it's going to be, and I'm sure you will figure it out and do a fine job!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sarah, I just found the pattern! So excited. Now I'll actually be able to make this! I thought I was going to have to make the chevrons more uniform.
      E xx

      Delete
  4. I love this quilt and think it's perfect for a bloke. Your colours are spot on too and will look really effective. I'm probably a bit late but the pattern is Ascend by Carolina Patchworks. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. OMG, Thanks, Erin!!! I am totally buying this pattern RIGHT NOW!! Yay!!!
    E

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cool!! I've had it on my 'want' list for ages so am looking forward to watching your progress. x

      Delete

Post a Comment

I'm still working out how to make email reply's work, but I promise I read every one and will reply by email or on the blog.
E xx