River City Round Robin - Round 2!!!

You all know how much I loved (loved, loved, loved, loved) being part of a travelling quilt over the last 18 months or so.  It was hands down one of my favourite things from 2016/17.

I got to spend time with some of my favourite real life quilty peeps, making those friendships even stronger and more valued to me; and I got pushed outside my comfort zone with piecing and colour and design.  I am a much better quilter for having been part of this little round robin.  And we all had fun!! Which to me is the best part.  But now that all the tops are back to their respective owners, the sewing tables are feeling a little bit empty
without these communal quilts on them. And so we're starting another round!!

We've invited a couple more of our guild mates (that's the epic Brisbane Modern Quilt Guild, if you're ever in Brisbane, Queensland, Australia and want to visit - we're amazing and fun and you should move to the other side of the world to join in with us, I promise we're worth it), so we've gone from 6 to 8 people (unfortunately we are saying goodbye to Sandra, because she's too cool for us now - well actually she just has a really busy year ahead of her, but I'm trying to guilt her into staying).  We're going to kick off our starters in January, but I thought I'd introduce you to the amazing sewists for this round

First up, our returning makers:

Laura
Laura has 3 smallish children, a whippet and a wicked sense of humour.  She's a quiet achiever who lulls you into thinking she's sweet and then throws some shade.  I adore her. As one of my first quilty friends, I only have good things to say about her.  Her quilts tend to be beautifully curated and minimal and classic.  She loves her low volume, almost as much as I do, and I was a little jealous when I handed back her quilt from round 1, as I wanted to keep it for myself.
You should totally follow Laura on insta

Bec
Bec is all about the rainbows and the joy.  She also as 3 little munchkins, and they are cheeky rascals, just like their mum. She is all colour all the time!! So much colour!! I don't think I've ever seen Bec make something low volume or pastel. She's all about saturated colour, and I love it!
Bec's insta is totally drool worthy.

Kathryn
I have never heard Kath utter an unkind word, but she is a master at eyerolls ;-) She's got wickedness sneaking under the surface.  When Kathryn is not running around after her small people, she is sewing up a storm.  Hell, she sews *while* she runs after her kids - the woman does amazing EPP while waiting through dance classes and I am in awe of her teeny tiny invisible stitches. When I think of Kath's quilts, I think detail and precision.  Not scary at all... :-/
Kath makes absolutely beautiful quilts and you can see them on her insta.

Vic
Vic is another with smallish children, although in her case, it's a pair - gorgeous girls that have their mothers vivacity.  Vic is an improv master and has threatened to make her starter a no-ruler curve (she knows my greatest fears - and she lives to torment me!). When I think Vic, I think colour and movement and life - purposeful energy is probably the best description I can give.
Vic can be found on insta too!!

 And our ring-ins, for round two:

Martina
I'm betting you already know Martina, because she is the face behind Ava & Neve - the Brissy based Liberty fabric shop.  Martina and I met on a weekend quilting retreat, and despite only having actually seen each other in person *once*, we were quilt bffs immediately.

Kim
If you haven't seen Kim's insta, you need to go now. She is incredible!!! her quilting makes my eyes water with fear.  I'm not daunted by her inclusion... not at all... ok, a little bit... ok, a lot.  But she is also the sweetest lady I know. She loves her bright colours and is always up for a challenge. I am really looking forward to seeing what she makes in the robin (although I admit to being petrified about what to do for her).

Kelly
Kelly is another who loves her colour.  But when I think of Kelly's quilts, it's brights and whites.  Kelly really plays with fabric and is a dab hand at scrappy (but not messy).
Kelly is a quilting machine.


Our new robin buddies are all amazing quilters so they all fill me with a little bit of fear, but I also felt that way before starting round one (as did the rest of us! We were all packing it before we started), so I am really looking forward to what RCRRv2 looks like :-)

I have started on my starter, so I'll take some photos and be back soon to show you what I'm making!!

E xx

Comments